Alison HoweyYear of Call: 1999
Areas of Expertise
- Family Law
- Children and Financial
- Animal Welfare and dangerous dog cases
- LLB(Hons) 2.1 1998
- BVC Barrister at Law Very Competent 1999
- ATC and BSB approved to teach advocacy 2012
- PGHEP Masters in Higher Education Teaching 2015
- HEA Fellow of the Higher Education Authority 2015
County Court Rate: £295.00 +VAT High Court Rate: £395.00 +VAT VAT Registered: Yes Direct Access Accredited: Yes
“Alison was incredibly organised and thorough, explaining legal terms that I did not understand with patience and in a succinct way. Alison’s expertise is evident and her genuine, down-to-earth nature and humour were much appreciated. Thoroughly recommended.” – RR
With over 20 years of experience as a barrister, Alison primarily focuses on all areas of family law including divorce, ancillary relief, private law children and public law children’s cases. Alison is also very passionate about the welfare of animals and regularly takes instructions on animal cases.
Alison is well-liked among her clients for her level-headed, pleasant and approachable demeanour. She prides herself in providing a caring service.
Children Act Matters
Private law disputes between individuals and complex Public Law care cases that involve the local authority, including:
- Disputed medical evidence
- Factious and induced illness
- Sexual abuse
- International element
- Cultural/religious issues
- Human rights issues
Alison has vast experience and has represented clients regarding:
- Applications for financial remedies
- Business Accounts
- Director/ partnership liabilities
- Pension sharing
- Multiple properties
- Pre-nuptial& separation agreements
- Injunctions to prevent disposal of assets or setting aside transactions.
- Setting aside orders because of non-disclosure of assets
- TOLATA where parties have lived together and have joint assets but have not married.
Alison has also worked in the best interests of those who are vulnerable. She has represented people in the following areas:
- Financial Affairs
- Health and Welfare
- Deprivation of Liberty
Catherine has also helped her clients resolve:
- Domestic Violence
- Occupation Order
Animal Welfare Law
Due to her love of animals, Alison has vast experience with animal welfare cases and dangerous dog matters. Alison has written articles for the following publications:
- EquiTrader, 2015 – Comments regarding the Control of Horses Act 2015.
- Published in the Journal of Animal Law (ALAW) summer edition 2016 – The link between animal abuse, domestic violence and juvenile crime: An Anglo-American perspective.
- Veterinary Times, June 2017 – Dogs – Man’s best friend or a minefield of liability? The criminal liabilities of dog ownership.
- Veterinary Times, Aug 2017 – Miscellaneous criminal liabilities relating to dog owners.
- Sage, 2017 – Prosecution and the alternatives, An Introduction to Criminal Justice.
- Veterinary Times November 2014 – The criminal liability of dog owners under The Animal Welfare Act 2006.
Alison grew up on a farm in the upper Coquetdale valley in rural North Northumberland border country. This is where her love of animals began.
Alison has 3 beagles (two of which are rescue dogs) and a horse.
Alison is a big fan of yoga and pilates.