Catherine HewittYear of Call: 2001
Areas of Expertise
- Family Law – public law for all parties including local authorities, Guardians, parents and other interested parties
- Private Law
- Ancilliary Relief
- LLB (Hons)
- BVC very competent
County Court Rate: £295.00 +VAT High Court Rate: £395.00 +VAT VAT Registered: Yes Direct Access Accredited: Yes
“I was reassured to take a barrister to court with me, Catherine was formidable in her presentation to the court of the facts in my case. She always made time for me, listened to what I had to say and kept me informed along the way.” ~ RH
Having specialised in family law for 20 years, Catherine has been successful in dealing with matters surrounding children, domestic violence injunction cases and family finance. In October 2019, Catherine was appointed as The Chairperson of the Safeguarding Appeals Board for the Football Association. This part time quasi-judicial appointment complements both her practice and her passion for football.
Honesty and integrity are core to how Catherine approaches her work and throughout her career, she has taken great pride in fighting for her clients’ best interests. However, her vast experience enables her to know when to consider settlement as the best option.
Children Act Matters
Catherine is passionate about family law. This ranges from private law disputes to more complicated care cases including:
- Disputed medical evidence
- Factious and induced illness
- Sexual abuse
- International element
- Cultural/religious issues
- Human rights issues
- Court Protection
Ancillary Relief and TOLATA Matters
Catherine has expertise in complex matters having advised and represented her clients involving:
- Applications for financial remedies
- Business Accounts
- Director/ partnership liabilities
- Pension sharing
- Multiple properties
- Pre-nuptial& separation agreements
- Injunctions to prevent disposal of assets or setting aside transactions.
- Setting aside orders because of non-disclosure of assets
- TOLATA where parties have lived together, have joint assets but have not married.
Catherine is passionate in supporting those who are vulnerable and diligently seeks to represent their best interests. She has worked in a number of cases revolving around:
- Financial Affairs
- Health and Welfare
- Deprivation of Liberty
After Studying European and International law at the Durham University, Catherine has gone on to represent her clients before the High Court in which cases have been decided outside the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom.
Catherine has strong family connections in football.